Saturday, December 1, 2012

Holiday Hype

I cried the other day...over presents. I know, that somethings little kids do. But, let me explain. I love Christmas. More specifically, I love giving gifts. I love making them, searching for them, wrapping them and seeing people open them. Nothing wrong with that. Well, this year, has really wanted to focus on not getting caught up in all the holiday hype. He's giving his birthday to Cause 6000 and Sole Hope this year. Because he wants to do more than just talk about changing things, he wanted to give one large gift to Cause 6000 and let everyone know that their Christmas present for us is on it's way to help build a well in Ghana. We've done that for the past two years. The cutesy, creative, gift giving side of me threw a little fit when he said that. I want to have presents under our tree and a trunk full of gifts to deliver at Christmas.

I think I threw Ray for a loop when I started to cry. But here was the inner conflict: I love the idea of giving a gift that does more than just add to the junk that people already have and don't need, but I also love giving a great gift that I know my friends and family will love. I was so worried that I was being bratty and selfish about the whole thing that I had a little bit of a meltdown. Luckily, I've found a way that we can give a physical gift that does more than just collect dust. Over the next few days, I'll highlight several different places to shop that allow you to give gifts to friends and family and hope and support to others.

Number one on the list is Light Gives Heat at www.lightgivesheat.com. I found this organization through an ad in a magazine and am completely taken with their story and the work they are doing. Take a look..

LGH works with up and coming artists and to produce their designs by creating jobs women and families in Uganda. How cool is that?! Take a look at some of the products they offer.
This is from their bold collection which just so happened to be on sale today (day 1 of LGH's 12 days of Christmas sale).
One of my favorite bags they offer. 
It's always a good thing to give hope!

I'm really excited to give gifts this year, especially now that I've found places like LGH that allow me to give gifts that are a little more significant.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was nominated for a Leibster award which is for new/newish bloggers with under 200 followers. In turn I get to nominate 11 bloggers. You are one of the bloggers I am nominating. It's just something fun to do to connect with other bloggers and get to know them better. Details:

    http://www.2brokebruces.com/2013/02/id-like-to-thank-academy.html

    xo,
    Misty at Two Broke Bruces

    P.S. - As far as I could tell all of the nominees I selected have less then 200 followers, but I apologize if I am incorrect!

    ReplyDelete